Michigan Territory, 1814
A voyageur and a young woman swept up in a time of upheaval and danger discover firsthand the high price of freedom.
The British Army has taken control of Michilimackinac Island and its fort, forcing the Americans to swear an oath of loyalty to the crown in order to retain their land. Pierre Durant is a fur trader who returns after being away from the island for years, only to find the family farm a shambles and those he cares about starving and at the mercy of British invaders.
Torn between the adventurous life of fur trading and guilt over neglecting his defenseless mother, Pierre is drawn deeper into the fight against the British–and into a relationship with Angelique MacKenzie, a childhood friend who’s grown into a beautiful woman. She now finds herself trapped by the circumstances of war and poverty, and the cruelty of her guardian, Ebenezer Whiley.
As tensions mount and the violence rages on, Pierre and Angelique must decide where their loyalties rest and how much they’ll risk for love.
Free downloads for Captured by Love:
Read an Excerpt
Download the Discussion Questions
Download the Q & A with Jody Hedlund
Awards for Captured by Love:
- 2014 Winner of the Lime Award for Excellence in Fiction (Presented by The Christian Manifesto)
- 2015 Finalist of the INSPY Awards
Editorial Reviews of Captured by Love:
- Publishers Weekly (Starred Review): “Award-winning author Hedlund (The Preacher’s Bride) continues to perfect her craft, combining drama, geography, and military strategy into an engaging historical romance. Superbly written romantic tension comes together with rich historical and scenic detail in this third novel in the Michigan Brides Collection that will leave readers eager for a fourth.”
- Romantic Times: “With well-drawn, realistically flawed and sympathetic characters, tight and thrillingly unpredictable plotlines, fascinating historical details and moving faith journeys, Hedlund’s novels never disappoint and Captured by Love is no exception.”
- CBA Retailers + Resources: “Recommend this wonderful novel to those who appreciate historical fiction.”
Blog Reviews of Captured by Love:
- Stacey Daniel’s blog: “I would highly recommend Captured by Love . . . 5 stars—absolutely loved it!“
- Deanna Rupp’s blog: “Filled with action, suspense, danger and clean romance, you’ll find yourself neglecting your chores and maybe even thinking about calling in to work with an illness so you can find out what happens next.”
- Amy Drown’s blog: “Captured by Love is yet another triumph from the masterful pen of Jody Hedlund. With gripping authenticity and breathtaking passion, this story breathes life into a unique time and place in American history . . . This engrossing novel is an absolute must-read for lovers of rich, powerful historical fiction.“
- Books & Beverages: “Jody Hedlund has the ability to draw you so quickly into the story, where you’re hooked after a few pages and you’re thinking about the story the whole time you’re not reading it.”
- Writing in Wonderland: “Jody Hedlund has once again succeeded in creating a moving tale woven with beautiful descriptions, lovable characters, and enough suspense to keep me turning pages when I should be handling other responsibilities.”
- D.L. Kamstra’s blog: “The book is a tough one to put down. Many times, I had no idea what was coming next in the story. The threads of what each character is facing is flawlessly intertwined with the history of the island.”
- Book Club Network: “Captured by Love is rich in history and authenticity, creating a credible and captivating story of survival, love and compromise. This book surpassed my expectations.“
- Caroline Flory’s blog: “I’ve been a Jody Hedlund fan for a few years now. She creates interesting plot lines, weaves historical facts seamlessly within, and focuses on themes we can all relate to. Her newest historical fiction romance release, Captured by Love, continues that tradition.”
- Bookshelves and Windows: “This book is pure reading pleasure. Jody Hedlund never fails to pack her stories full of danger, angst, and action. I always have the undeniable need to keep turning the pages when it comes to one of her books.“
My Reader’s Creations
Created by the talented Caroline Flory of Under God’s Mighty Hand.
A great way for Jody to sign your e-book copy of Captured by Love