Do you have a dream of publication?
Then you’ve come to the right place! Jody has a heart for encouraging and teaching aspiring authors.
Jody’s Blog is a chronicle of her writing journey. She offers advice, encouragement, and inspiration based on all that she’s learned about writing, publication, and marketing in today’s tough publishing industry.
Click a title below to expand each section.
(All material is copyrighted)
- 4 Tips for Researching a Novel
- 4 Keys to Unlocking Your Creativity
- How to Find Original Ideas When You Have None
- How to Find Plot Ideas
- One of the Best Ways to Find Writing Ideas
- 4 Steps for Organizing Plot Ideas Into a Novel
- A Method in the Madness: Outlining as You Write
- How to Write Proficiently About Things You Don’t Know
- 8 Things to Keep in Mind When Naming Characters
- Describing Appearances: Moving Beyond Hair & Eye Color
- 3 Tips for Developing Enthralling Characters
- How to Avoid the Trap of Creating Unlikable Characters
- 6 Key Things to Consider When Developing Characters
- Suturing: Making Our Readers One With the Story
- How To Bring Your Characters to Life
- Making Memorable Minor Characters
- When to Show Character Emotions and When to Tell
- 5 Ingredients for Creating Swoon-Worthy Heroes
Getting Started With the First Draft:
Basic Writing Mechanics:
- 5 Tips for Writing Better Settings
- 7 Point-of-View Basics
- First or Third Person: Which Point of View is Best?
- 7 Setting Basics That Can Bring a Story to Life
- 7 Dialog Basics That Can Help Tighten Our Stories
- Developing Dazzling Dialog
- Cliched Writing: Avoid it Like the Plague
- Learning to Find a Balance in Showing Versus Telling
- Using the 5 Senses to Make Our Stories Jump Off the Page
- Spicing up a Story With Similes and Metaphors
- Manipulating the Moods of our Stories
- 5 Ways Writers Get Lazy
Taking Your Story to the Next Level:
- How to Make Your Book Play Out Like a Movie
- Why Every Story Needs a Zombie
- The Key to Successful Storytelling
- 4 Ways to Add Caffeine to Your Story
- An Important Technique for Adding Momentum to a Slow Plot
- Riveting Our Readers By Using the Death Factor
- The Importance of Throwing Our Readers for a Loop
- Writing Tight: 3 Pieces of Advice I Wish I’d Known Earlier
- Creating a Book Readers Can’t Put Down
- 4 Ways to Deepen Romance Relationships in Any Type of Story
- 5 Elements Sigh-Worthy Romance Novels Must Have
- 10 Techniques for Getting Tension on Every Page
- Theme: What is It? And How Do We Develop One?
- Cliff Hangers: Practical Ways to Leave Your Readers Hanging from a Cliff
- 3 Simple Stages of Self-Editing
- Self-Editing: When is Enough, Enough?
- A Self-Editing Checklist
- Why Every Writer Needs Feedback
- Most Writers Are Blind to Their Own Faults
- Every Writer Needs as Much Editing as Possible
- Why Skimping on Macro-Editing Could Cost You Readers
- Why We Need to Put Our Books to Bed
- How Much Editing Does a Contracted Book Get?
- 3 Tests That Can Help Us Handle Difficult Feedback
- 4 Ways to Find a Critique Partner
Time Management & Growth:
- 4 Ways to Make Yourself Complete a Book
- How to Set Writing Priorities
- What Keeps You From Writing?
- One Trick That Helps With Meeting Daily Word Count Goals
- 8 Ways Writers Can Push Themselves to Grow
- 5 Foundational Areas to Focus on for Intentional Growth
- When Writing Demands Cut into Other Priorities
- 4 Ways to Make Your Writing Schedule Work
Every writer needs to keep learning and growing in the craft of writing. Jody has compiled an extensive list of Helpful Writing Books that can help you in your efforts to push yourself to the next level.
Jody has also made available her Character Worksheet. This character worksheet was specially developed by Jody to make her characters come alive. Feel free to use all or parts of it in your own writing process.