Inspired by the true love story of John and Abigail Adams…
A Love That Would Shape History Forever
Susanna Smith has grown up with everything she’s ever wanted, except one thing: an education.
Because she’s a woman, higher learning was always closed to Susanna Smith. But her quick mind and quicker tongue never back down from a challenge. And she’s determined to marry well, so she’ll be able to continue her work with the less fortunate.
Growing up with little to his name, poor country lawyer Benjamin Ross dreams of impacting the world for the better. When introduced to the Smiths he’s taken by Susanna’s intelligence and independent spirit, but her parents refuse to see him as a suitor for their daughter.
Free downloads for Rebellious Heart
Read an Excerpt
Download the Discussion Guide
Q & A with Jody
Rebellious Heart is now available on Audible.
Listen to a sample and download here!
Awards for Rebellious Heart:
- 2013 CBRB Top 10 Award
- 2014 Finalist in Inspirational Readers Choice Award (RWA’s Faith, Hope, & Love)
Editorial Reviews on Rebellious Heart:
- Publishers Weekly: Hedlund (A Noble Groom) offers another beauty for fans of historical romance, unfolding an unlikely relationship in the midst of political and social machinations in pre-Revolutionary War Boston. This fast-paced drama draws the reader in quickly while introducing engaging characters who wrestle with ethical and emotional challenges. As tensions begin to flare between the king’s soldiers and colonials, young lawyer Ben Ross finds himself winning court cases by day and smuggling molasses by night. He’s drawn to Susanna Smith, an intelligent young socialite with a heart for the less fortunate, but Ben knows his common social status is no match for her mother’s expectations. As their feelings for each other warm, Susanna struggles to reconcile her religious obligations and honoring her parents—duties that seem to conflict with her desires. Ben and Susanna form a growing, but seemingly impossible, bond while risking their lives to save an abused runaway. Both are faced with the same question affecting their personal and political loyalties: what is more important—doing what is right or obeying God-ordained authorities? Twin themes of faith and loyalty animate the story’s conflict. Don’t miss the author’s note revealing her real-life inspiration for these characters.
- Romantic Times: Hedlund’s talent for creating three-dimensional, deeply human and realistically flawed characters is the welcome highlight of this tale set in pre-Revolutionary Massachusetts.
- Fresh Fiction: The romance in Rebellious Heart is sweet and charming…fast paced with tons of action.
Blog Reviews of Rebellious Heart:
- Anne’s Book Nook: “I have loved all of Jody Hedlund’s books, but Rebellious Heart is my absolute favorite by far! Painting a vivid history of the American colonies before the War of Independence, this novel is brilliantly written.”
- Steps: “Jody did an amazing job with the chemistry between these two (main characters), and as is normal for her books, I didn’t want it to end.“
- To Read or Not to Read: “Every book that I have read by Jody Hedlund has been placed on my favorites shelf, Rebellious Heart will now be joining the rest of them . . .The characters jump off of the pages.“
- The Literary Maidens: “This book literally kept me up until the wee hours of the next day despite my need for sleep, but I just couldn’t put it down!”
- Breath Perfumed: “This book has it all and I was hooked from the first chapter! Beautiful.”
- Sally Shupe’s blog: “Jody Hedlund does an excellent job of weaving a romantic tale set in Colonial times and incorporating events and situations common to that era like smuggling, indentured servants, and slaves. Long after you finish this story, you will still be thinking about the characters!”
- Proverbial Reads: “Jody Hedlund has delivered another beautiful novel with great detail. I do believe her novels based on historical people bring out the best of her writing.“
- Simply Sarah: “The characters are compelling and even though the time period is so different from our own, their struggles are relatable.“
- Literarily Illumined: “I can’t say enough about this story; it simply was a wonderful reading experience. The rich detail, the emotional turmoil, the action, the rebellion, the villainy all coalesce into one of the best of Jody Hedlund’s works. She has set a new bar of greatness for herself.”
- Barbie McNutt’s blog: “One of the things I most appreciate about Jody’s writings, and Rebellious Heart is no exception, is her ability to explore deep subjects while weaving a beautiful, romantic tale with fully developed characters.”
- Write Now: “This book was engaging from beginning to end. I enjoyed getting to know the characters whose struggles were not so different from our own. The plot, rich with detail and purpose, offers an adventurous look at a pivotal time in America.”
- Carole Jarvis’s blog: “When it comes to historical fiction, Jody Hedlund is among the best. Rebellious Heart grabbed my attention from the first sentence – “He’s guilty of murder!” – and it isn’t long before Jody takes the reader on a wild ride from one riveting scene after another.”
My Wonderful Readers
My Readers’ Creations
A great way for Jody to sign your e-book copy of Rebellious Heart