Acclaimed novelist Jody Hedlund brings the real story of “Amazing Grace” to page in a thrilling tale of the love story of John Newton and Polly Catlett.
John Newton fell in love with Polly Catlett at first sight. But Polly was unable to return the affections of the rebellious, worldly young man and her father ordered the aimless John away from her. Not long after, John was pressed into serving in the Navy. He saw Polly one last time before leaving England but Polly couldn’t promise any future to him.
After four years away, John is called back to England on family matters. But John was heavily, blindly involved in the slave trade and had no desire to return. John Sr. used his son’s undying love for Polly to lure him home. On that treacherous voyage back to England, in the midst of a terrible storm, John finally experienced salvation and began moving towards, eventually, crusading against slavery. Back at home, John must work hard to convince wise-beyond-her-years Polly Catlett that he is a changed man and worthy of her.
Endorsements for Newton and Polly
- “Amazing Grace, indeed! Newton and Polly is one of the most powerful love stories I have ever read, wrenching the heart and waking the soul. If you read one book this year, this should be it.”
—Julie Lessman, award-winning author of The Daughters of Boston, Winds of Change, and Heart of San Francisco series
- “A powerfully moving account of one man’s epic journey from doubt and despair into a world of radiant faith. Newton and Polly is impeccably researched and punctuated with glints of genuine humor… I loved it!”
—Elizabeth Camden, RITA® and Christy award-winning author
- “A sweeping tale rife with adventure, love, and God’s relentless pursuit of his own. With her signature depth and detail, Jody Hedlund plunges her readers into a fascinating and powerful story that has gone untold—until now. Set sail with Newton and Polly and become anchored in amazing grace.”
—Jocelyn Green, award-winning author of the Heroines Behind the Lines Civil War series
- “In this story of the lives of John Newton and Polly Catlett, author Jody Hedlund skillfully weaves together the history, romance, and Christian faith that inspired the world’s best-loved hymn. Evocative and illuminating.”
—Dorothy Love, author of Mrs. Lee and Mrs. Gray: A Novel
- “Jody Hedlund’s historical detail is immaculate, and her storytelling will bring you to tears. Newton’s conversion was truly remarkable, sparking a legacy that has impacted millions of lives. Newton and Polly invites readers into that powerful experience.”
—Sigmund Brouwer, award-winning author of Thief of Glory
Book Club Collection
A collection of material to add fun and substance to your Book Club discussion of Newton and Polly, created by Jody. Enhance your book club even further by inviting Jody to visit with your group via Skype!
- Jody’s letter to Book Clubs
- Newton and Polly Discussion Questions
- Quotes of John Newton
- John Newton Quiz
- Additional Information about Newton and Polly
Newton and Polly Playlist
My Reader’s Creations
My Wonderful Readers
A great way for Jody to sign your e-book copy of Newton and Polly