Katharina von Bora has seen nothing but the inside of cloister walls since she was five. In a daring escape, Katharina finds refuge with Martin Luther and seeks his help to pair her with the noble, wealthy husband she desires.
As class tensions and religious conflicts escalate toward the brink of war, Martin Luther believes that each day could be his last and determines he will never take a wife.
As the horrors of the bloody Peasant War break out around them, the proud Katharina and headstrong Martin Luther fight their own battle for true love, in one of the greatest love stories of history.
Editorial Reviews for Luther and Katharina
- Christianbook.com: “Gripping you on the first page with a daring escape scene, this historically rich romantic tale doesn’t let go until the end. Painting a very human portrait of the tumultuous early days of the Reformation, Hedlund allows you to live alongside Luther and his followers as they face the perils of their convictions. The epic love story that simmers throughout evokes murmurs of Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. A spellbinding saga!”
Endorsements for Luther and Katharina
- Robin Lee Hatcher: “Luther and Katharina is a sweeping romance set against the turbulent background of the Protestant Reformation of the 16th Century. At times heartbreaking, at times breathtaking, readers will be swept away by both the love story and the historical details woven expertly through every chapter. Don’t miss this one!” — Bestselling author of Whenever You Come Around and Keeper of the Stars
- Lori Benton: “Jody Hedlund’s Luther and Katharina is an absorbing and deeply researched look into the life and ministry of a figure in church history I’d previously known only from a few dusty facts. Jody breathes life into those facts with this fascinating and intimate portrayal of Martin Luther’s life. Luther and Katharina is a compelling tale of tested faith, tumultuous church history, and incredible courage against daunting odds—and one of the most unique love stories I’ve read in ages.” — Author of The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn and The Wood’s Edge
Laura Frantz: “My favorite Jody Hedlund novel to date! Luther and Katharina is a work of heart, showcasing a unique setting, a rich plot, and a shimmering romance drawn from two of history’s most beloved heroes of the faith, Martin Luther and his wife, Katharina von Bora. Well done!” — Author of The Mistress of Tall Acre
Tamera Alexander: “Complex and emotionally rich, Luther and Katharina gripped me from the very start and never let go. Not even when the final page was turned. The history, the love story, the depth of faith in this novel is masterfully woven by Jody Hedlund.” — USA Today best-selling author of To Win Her Favor and A Lasting Impression
Honors for Luther and Katharina
- Christy Award Winner 2016
- Inspirational Readers Choice Award Finalist 2016
- Christian Book Award Winner – Fiction
- INSPY Award Finalist 2016
- Prismatic Prospects Favorite Read 2015
- Christian Book Award Finalist 2016
Behind the Scenes of Luther and Katharina
- The Strangest Tradition of All: Witnessing a Marriage Consummation
- Confessions of a Pastor’s Kid: The Inspiration behind Luther and Katharina
Book Club Collection
A collection of material to add fun and substance to your Book Club discussion of Luther and Katherina, created by Jody. Enhance your book club even further by inviting Jody to visit with your group via Skype!
- Jody’s Letter to Book Clubs
- Luther and Katharina Discussion Questions
- Famous Quotes of Martin Luther
- Fun Quiz About Martin Luther
- Additional Information About Luther and Katharina
Martin Luther Hymns Playlist
Enjoy listening to contemporary and classical renditions of hymns penned by Martin Luther.
Reviews for Luther and Katharina
- Rayleigh: “Jody Hedlund is an incredibly talented author! Her writing all but dares you to put the book down as you read vigorously what will happen next! In Luther and Katherina, Jody dives into Martin Luther’s world and brings it alive like I’ve never seen, or read.”
- Michelle: “I love Jody Hedlund, but this time period and setting is not my favorite to read. BUT she wrote this story in such a way that made it so interesting and historical, I really couldn’t put it down.”
- Hailey: “I absolutely loved this book. Everything about it was superb. It was written beautifully and drew me in from the first chapter.”
- Book by Book: “An all-around outstanding and captivating read, Luther and Katharina will not disappoint fans of historical romance – it’s a novel I would not hesitate to recommend.”
- Jennifer’s Inspiration: “Luther and Katharina is a fantastic story, worthy of motion picture production. This is a book you will not want to put down and is a great story for those who enjoy history, romance, or action packed novels.”
Free Downloads for Luther and Katharina
Download a PDF of Martin Luther quotes, including ones used in Luther and Katharina.
Martin Luther Quiz
My Wonderful Readers
My Readers’ Creations
A great way for Jody to sign your e-book copy of Luther and Katharina